I ride trails for a profession and visit lots of trail websites, and this one is one of the very
best and most organized. Thank you for providing this wonderful service.
I hope to ride the Katy Trail in late March 2011. I plan to stay at b&b/hotels along the way.
I have 3 questions:
1. I realize many of the businesses are seasonal, but are most of the essential businesses
such as grocery stores, lodging, & restaurants still open?
2. What is the least expensive shuttle service available. I am open to either a professional
shuttle business or someone (retiree, student, etc.) who may just want to make a few bucks
and have a good conversation/drive. I would need shuttle for myself & my bike.
3. Is the Katy Trail good for recumbent bikes and if so, are there recumbent rentals near
either of the two ends of the trail?
If you would prefer to reply privately rather than on the comment forum, I can be reached
@ either www.trailsnet.com or www.trailsnet.blogspot.com
posted Oct 18 2010 1:39PM
- Kevin Purdy, Louisville, CO
1. The towns were there before the trail and are not there because of it. Yes, people still eat, buy groceries, and outsiders still come to town. Kind of a no brainer, but glad to help a pro!
2. This is a good website. Maybe call the different shuttles and check on their off season prices.
3. Yes, many people ride their bent on the Katy. The Trailside in Rocheport will rent a bent. They are closed in March though. Perhaps use this site to get the phone number of rental shops and talk to them about bike type and off season rental.
posted Oct 18 2010 4:20PM
The trailhead restrooms and water are turned on from April-1st thru October. Also, the springtime wetness (ice/snow melt, rains etc) can make the trail soft in March at times. Yet, the Turner-KT Shelter in Tebbetts will be open then. Also, the best nature photo op’s generally occur mid-April and later.
Most of the markets, quick stops, major cafes, and gas stations are open year round. Some cafes and bar-grills close one or two days a week, e.g., on Mondays.
The bike shop in Defiance offers some shuttling; check with them at http://www.katybikerental.com
Here’s a shuttle service listed on another Katy website: Show Me MO Tours, St. Louis, 314-781-0015
posted Oct 19 2010 11:16AM